Everybody knows that educated children live better lives. They can make better decisions, get better jobs, improve their own lives. Find out more about the benefits of education.
Himalayan Learning raises money with the aim to help more children get more education.
Why is education so important?
Education is vitally important as a tool to help people deal with both the effects of poverty and to work for themselves toward a better life.
The World Bank argues that educating children in economically developing countries is important according to the following reasons:
- It enables people to read, understand, communicate, and make decisions.
- It raises the ability to earn money – studies show that each additional year of education increases individual earnings by 10%.
- It adds to quality of life.
- It reduces ill-health by people making better decisions.
- It reduces the size of families.
- It is fundamental for the creation of free societies.
- It builds a more skilled national work force.
- It enables enterprise, problem solving, and innovation.
We at Himalayan Learning focus on a few interpretations of these facts. We believe that by helping children get an education we can do the following:
- Educating girls makes them less dependent on men and gives them the skills to challenge where and whom they feel necessary.
- Providing simple education for all children to benefit from is better than only helping a few.
- Education must be free of cultural, religious, sexist, ageist, disablist bias, particularly in Nepal’s highly plural society.